Thursday, June 12, 2008

Back to School


I went back to the school I was fired from for my daughter's 8th grade graduation Tuesday night. I had at least 10 parents come up and shake my hand and thanked me for what I did. I also had a 7th grade young lady inform me that some 7th graders were trying to organize and make up T-shirts in support of my students not taking an unfair test, but were 'squashed' by some teachers and the principal.
It was apparent that the teachers were scared to talk to me (except one) and just tried to avoid me. Several of the parents told me they had talked to teachers who supported me, but said they were afraid to say anything publicly for fear of losing their jobs. The principal, superintendent, and the school board all insisted I had to be suspended and then fired, because I refused to follow the law. Yet, they used threats and intimidation to keep the rest of the teachers in line and violated their 1st Amendment rights. Hmmmmm...was it about the law or just following orders and not questioning authority?
Also, I have had a parent in a neighboring county contact me letting me know that they were inspired by my stand and their son with a disability's failure of another adapted test to start a organization to fight unfair standardized testing. I'm meeting with them next week. I'll give ya'all updates as that progresses.
It has been a boost to see that my refusal to test is starting to have an effect here in North Carolina!!!!
And, finally, here is a story about Wake Forest University here in North Carolina (a pretty prestigious school) dropping the SAT as a requirement.
Can you say irony?

1 comment:

Yvonne Siu-Runyan said...

Yes, it is ironic that those standardistos, politicos, and business folks are pushing for more tests, and universities are using other more practical and meaningful indicators for entrance requirements.

Thanks for your post!